Telehealth and Medicare
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers certain services, like office visits and consultations, that are provided:
- Using an interactive 2-way telecommunications system (with real-time audio and video)
- By a doctor or certain other health care provider who isn’t at your location.
If you live in some rural areas, these services are covered under certain conditions and only if you’re located at one of these places:
- A doctor’s office
- A hospital
- A critical access hospital (CAH)
- A rural health clinic
- A federally qualified health center
- A hospital-based or critical access hospital-based dialysis facility
- A skilled nursing facility
- A community mental health center
All people with Part B are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
You‘ll pay the same amount that you would if you had gotten the services in person.
To find out how much your test, item, or service will cost, talk to your doctor or health care provider. The specific amount you’ll owe may depend on several things, like:
- Other insurance you may have
- How much your doctor charges
- Whether your doctor accepts assignment
- The type of facility
- Where you get your test, item, or service